What skills do you need to be a band manager?
- The ability to multitask.
- Financial literacy.
- A DIY spirit to create opportunities for your clients.
- Relentless drive.
- Some fluency in the artistic language of music.
- Connections within the entertainment industry.
- A passion for artist management.
What makes a good band manager? A band manager needs to develop business skills including negotiation, financial management and product development. To help a band with recording and releasing music, a band manager understands legal principles that apply to musicians and how record companies operate.
What are the roles of a music manager?
- Negotiating contracts and collecting payments for artists.
- Discussing career strategies with artists.
- Scheduling concerts, promotional appearances, interviews, etc.
- Advocating for an artist’s mental and physical health as needed.
- Handling interpersonal conflicts between artists, such as band members.
What are the roles in a band? Classically, a rock band takes the form of a quartet whose members cover one or more roles, including vocalist, lead guitarist, rhythm guitarist, bass guitarist, drummer, and often that of keyboard player or other instrumentalist.